Bangkok is growing on me

Bangkok is big, hot, humid and parts of it look like they are ready to fall down. But I’m starting to get into this city. 20 million people live here. Some of them obviously live a nice life. Yesterday I passed some of the pretty parts of Bangkok. Completely by mistake as I didn’t know where I was and jumped into a taxi to get back to Khao San Road. Which is really not anything like the rest of Bangkok and I’m not sure I’ll stay here next time.

Next time is already taking shape in my head. I’ve realized why so many people come here. Not just to Thailand, but to South East Asia in general. The people in general are nice. The food isn’t bad. Actually I’ve had some of the best food on this trip. A highlight was the desert in Hong Kong. One way or another I have to figure out how to find that again.

But like I said, Bangkok is big and for the last couple of days I’ve been wondering around the largest market in Thailand. Big isn’t really the right word for it. I got completely lost wondering around seemingly endless aisles of stuff. Everything from pets, flowers, pottery, interior decorations, cloths and a whole lot more. This place is absolutely huge. With beware pickpocket signs everywhere. There’s also a whole lot of food. Thai people love to eat. There’s simply no other way to explain all the endless variety of food that you find here. Some if which I love and some I wouldn’t touch even if I was paid for it. But slowly and gradually Bangkok has grown on me. There’s just so much to like about this place.

Another thing I’ve noticed is how proud the people of Thailand are of their country. I’m not really surprised. Even if this place reminds me of Mexico, in the sense that you can see the difference between the have and the have nots quite clearly. Some of the people here just have nearly nothing. But this isn’t a bad place to have nothing. Apparently there’s lots of opportunity. Not all of it nice, but it’s there.

Ummæli

Vinsælar færslur