Thoughts on 2008

It's time to remember the year that's just passed. What a remarkable year it was for me. To live in interesting times wasn't exactly what I expected at the beginning of the year. But 2008 turned out to be a year of big news. Looking back it's been quite an eventful year for me. As in previous years I've felt blessed enough to have excellent friends and it turned out to be a year when I made new friends in far away places and renewed my ties with old friends through Facebook.

A memorable visit where we drove in amazing northern lights during the coldest weekend of the year seems to stand out in memory from the early part of 2008. However, early on in the year there appeared signs that changes might be in store. While I was reluctant to make changes, I was pushed in that direction and eventually made a leap to a new work place. Something that I now feel was a good move. I feel on a professional level more alive in my work than at any point over the last couple of years. I'm more active now with my professional friends and feel that I'm learning and experiencing more than I've done in quite some time. Experience is one my keywords for 2008. It was however, with mixed feelings that I left my friends at my former workplace. At the same time it showed me new opportunities and finally gave me the opportunity to travel to new destinations. To be pushed into such a search was stressful, yet I found quite a lot of strength in my own habits of yoga and enjoying visits to the gym with my friends. I even made a professional visit to London to consider new options and visit friends, some of whom have now moved closer to home.

For a long time I'd been thinking about traveling to Asia. Spending 6 weeks on the road in Asia and visiting Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand before I started at my new workplace was an amazing experience. It brought me into contact with new environments and new friends. Experienced the rain forest in the rain. Had someone steal money from me while I slept. Discovered a lot of culture and tasted some excellent food. Made such a strong and positive impression on me that I went to Hong Kong at the end of the year for another visit. A start in London set the tone for the adventure. Change of plans turned out to be a good move. I saw amazing sites. Wrote a travel journal. It also ended in London with a visit to dear friends and some unexpected fun. At this point the financial situation already pointed towards changes. But the crash was unexpected. I've told people that I lost my kitchen. The money I meant to use to get a better kitchen vanished. I almost decided to cancel my travel plans to Hong Kong. What a mistake that would have been.

Following my first travels to Asia I spent an eventful summer. Didn't do as much hiking as I wanted. But spent a very cold weekend in Thorsmork. A weekend that brought me right back to Iceland and made me remember how cold my home country really feels. Still managed to do some amazing shorter hikes. Became active in the Icelandic part of the Couchsurfing community. Something that I had experienced in Asia. Hosted a variety of people from all over the world. Made new friends. Saw Iceland through the eyes of visitors. Visited new places and rediscovered old favorites. Enjoyed excellent music during Iceland Airwaves with some of those visitors. Music as always part of my life. Discovered lots of excellent music. Saw some excellent movies. My Asian movie collection has grown by an amazing amount.

The later half of the year passed quickly. I made my best effort to learn a bit of Cantonese. Some of which I managed to remember during my visit to Hong Kong at the end of the year. Discovered a host of interesting blogs and made a dedicated effort to create one of my own. A site dedicated to bringing together images from around the world. Something I hope to continue in 2009. Struggled with my fears and made some progress. The year ended with an amazing visit to Hong Kong, Macau, Shenzhen and Guangzhou. I would cheer for the end of 2008 and the arrival of 2009 while drinking champagne and watching fireworks in Hong Kong. 2008 was in many ways an amazing year for me. It made me a strong believer in the power of karma. I discovered a city that I still haven't grown tired of. I watched my friends make a commitment to share their lives together. Enjoyed the hospitality and generosity of my friends near and far. Looking back this might have been a year of bad financial news, but for me it was an amazing year of discovery and wonder.

Ummæli

Vinsælar færslur